CS 620: Operating System Fundamentals
(Coordinator: Elizabeth Varki)
Introduces operating system concepts and design. Process and memory management; scheduling; file systems; storage devices; inter-process communication. Prereq: CS 515 and CS 520 or ECE 562.
- This course is one of the CS required classes.
- principles of operating systems.
- principles of computer organization and architecture.
Five written assignments, 3 programming assignments (60%), one midterm exam (20%) and one comprehensive final exam (20%).
- overview of hardware and operating systems
- process and thread management
- synchronization and deadlocks
- memory management
- file systems
- storage management
- Operating Systems Concepts, by Silberschatz, Galvin, and Gagne, Addison Wesley, 9th edition.